u Notes from the Underground: Blogistics

Blogistics

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I have finally removed the verbose and confused sidebar profile I had upto now. I have also decided to put images of the books I am reading - to add some color to the blog. I spent more than two hours yesterday trying to get this right - my idea was to put those Amazon links where hovering the mouse on the link will produce a nifty little intra-window popup which has an image of the book and its price details etc. (If it is not clear what I am talking about, check out this page.) I am still not sure if the links on my page will behave that way. (Apparently Amazon is conducting this controlled experiment and half the visitors to my page will see the nifty little pop up and the rest half won't. Braindead buggers.) BTW, if you see those popups let me know.

Personal trivia: I've quit my previous job and in a month's time I'm leaving India to do my PhD here.

[Did that kind of linking irritate you? Did it, dit it? Huh? It irritates the hell out of me. Always Name What You Are Linking To. (Search for "4. Links".)]

7 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't see the popup, man. All the best for your PhD.

 
At 6:04 PM, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh, that was me. Ganja.

 
At 10:34 PM, July 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here - no popups.

Surprisingly, I don't get irritated by that kind of linking. I always enable the Status Bar in Firefox & hover over the link to see where it goes before clicking on it. Anyway, in my blog I try to fill in the 'title' field so that just hovering over the link will give you a clue about the target.

 
At 10:58 PM, July 27, 2006, Blogger Venu said...

Ganja: Thanks man. Hope you are having fun with your frogs. :D

Rajat: I do that too (hovering and seeing where it goes.) But I want to know what you are linking to, not where. Urls many times give you no clue what the destination page is actually about. People blog like this: "Reading [link]this[/link], I got the feeling that blah blah..". You can atleast give a summary phrase saying what you are linking to - at Instapundit (which I dont read, btw), e.g., you always know what the link is going to be about.

 
At 11:52 AM, July 28, 2006, Blogger kuffir said...

venu,

congratulations are in order ,i suppose.. and my very best wishes to you..

 
At 11:55 AM, July 28, 2006, Blogger kuffir said...

and phd in what ? computer sciences ?

 
At 2:49 PM, July 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kuffir: Thanks. Yes, the field is computer science - without the plural s :D. And the phrase computer science is probably a misnomer - what we do is definitely closer to engineering than to any of the hard sciences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home