u Notes from the Underground

I was checking out the McCullough effect when it struck me that my (alleged) red-green confusion could be making the experience different for me. Many of my friends are sure I am colorblind, given my general hesitation in refering to objects using their colours, but so far I've been rationalising it away as the fault of my kindergarten teachers who never taught me which colour was which. (Heh.) Then I decided to test myself and indeed I turned out to be color-blind - I saw exactly what the test said the red-green colourblind would see. Now, I am sure you know this, but just in case you don't, the typical red-green colorblind person *can* see colours other than black and white - it's just that they have trouble distinguishing some hues of red and green. Although I think I have trouble conjuring up vivid and colourful imagery in my mind's eye - but that's probably an entirely different issue.

Next time you are making a presentation that involves distinguishing colours (like a histogram or a pie-chart or some other sort of graph), think of the red-green colorblind too. (And what if some are blind? Don't ask me.) You should care because around 7-10% of males are colourblind.

And if you are colorblind too, drop a comment and make me feel better.

7 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, March 23, 2007, Blogger pvncad said...

I took a test. Turns out that i have normal vision.

-pvncad

 
At 4:31 PM, March 27, 2007, Blogger Lalbadshah said...

Brother! long have a searched for a companion in this colourless world of mine!! :(
Ok maybe i exaggerated.. Im partially red-green blind. In the first link to Ishihara charts I see all numbers but 6(takes me more that 6-7 seconds to recognize that). What I have is termed as a mild dueteranomaly. Since I have trouble with a few shades of green and green lies in the middle of the spectrum, it went completely undetected until recently when i got a Ishihara chart test done by a doctor. Why I got this test done? You will hear from me soon enough about that.

 
At 4:44 PM, March 27, 2007, Blogger Lalbadshah said...

This can help define the degree of colour blindness:
http://www.geocities.com/alfredo_71/vidaurri_5.html

 
At 11:03 AM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Saturday Night Takeout said...

Christmas cards must be a complete bitch to you :P

 
At 6:53 PM, March 28, 2007, Blogger Venu said...

@lalbadshah
Ah, good to see someone else apart from my relatives who's colour blind too (my brother's one and a maternal uncle too).. Looks like I have protanomalia.

 
At 9:57 AM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

Smoke a joint, it might just fix the problem, atleast temporarily.

 
At 9:13 AM, July 07, 2007, Blogger kuffir said...

long time..no post..wake up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home